[llvm-dev] [llvm-foundation] Sequential ID Git hook

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 5 11:54:44 PDT 2016

On 5 July 2016 at 12:13, David Chisnall <david.chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Note that GitHub (currently, at least) doesn’t export submodules sensibly with their svn version.

SVN users can continue using the projects directly, they *just* need
to change the SVN repository location of every project to GitHub.

It can't get simpler than that.

> I think it would help to have a description of how to bisect for a clang or lldb (or some other subproject) regression.

There are plenty of good documentation
(https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2) that teaches everything one needs to
know about git (but was afraid to ask).

Using the umbrella project, the sub-modules will make it trivial to
bisect. Using SVN view for individual projects will make it
*identical* to bisect as it was.

> For downstream users, it would also be nice if tools like git-imerge let you merge clang and llvm together, though that’s a nice-to-have feature that we currently lack so shouldn’t in any way block the migration.

Git imerge is an amazing tool, but it's not production quality yet, I
think. Though, this is really an orthogonal issue, since SVN-bound
people can still use the SVN view and merge their own patches
downstream.

cheers,
--renato