[llvm-dev] Specifying DAG patterns in the instruction

Dylan McKay via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 30 17:32:02 PST 2016

TableGen, as a DSL language, is made up of records. Every def corresponds
to a record. For example, TableGen has a class Register, and your backend
will define records by def GPR8 : Register<...>. You are correct in saying
that the record definition is one of the SDNode values. These correspond
1:1 to llvm::ISD::NodeType
<http://llvm.org/docs/doxygen/html/namespacellvm_1_1ISD.html#a22ea9cec080dd5f4f47ba234c2f59110>
.

(DEF a, b) corresponds to

    --------- a
   /
DEF
   \
    ----------b

A more complicated example, regarding that a and b themselves can be nested
DAGs.

                   /
   /                 b
DEF