[llvm-dev] Intel MPX support (instrumentation pass similar to gcc's Pointer Checker)

Dmitrii Kuvaiskii via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 28 06:35:12 PST 2016

Hello,

As far as I know, there is no MPX pass in LLVM (though the x86-64
backend already declares MPX registers and instructions). I wonder if
anyone is currently working on the LLVM pass for MPX instrumentation,
similar to Pointer Checker in gcc. If yes, could anyone elaborate on
the status and accessability to other researchers? And if any help is
needed?

Prof. Santosh Nagarakatte, the author of SoftBound/HardBound/WatchDog
Lite, answered that he is not currently
involved in MPX. But he pointed to the SoftBoundCETS prototype at
https://github.com/santoshn/softboundcets-34 . Therefore, I was
thinking about adapting SoftBound to MPX, as a drop-in replacement for
gcc's PointerChecker. Could anyone comment on this?

--
Yours sincerely,
Dmitrii Kuvaiskii