[llvm-dev] SF_Exported vs SF_Hidden

Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 25 10:01:51 PST 2016

> Alternatively I've misunderstood the full meaning of SF_Hidden and
> SF_Exported. I always just read them as "will this symbol appear in the
> symbol table for a linked DSO". Under that reading, a non-hidden,
> non-exported symbol doesn't make sense.

I don't think the "object format abstracted" flags have a very well
defined meaning and don't get a lot of use. Since you are one of the
few users, feel free to refine them.

>>  I believe readobj already dumps this sort of information out, albeit in
>> object file specific ways.
>
> Ok. I eventually need something that shows the generic flag's value, but the
> output format of the tool can be object specific. For other properties (e.g.
> "weak") llvm-objdump and llvm-nm suffice, since they query the generic flags
> to produce their (format specific) output. If "exported" is of interest to
> people I could add it to one of the generic tools. Otherwise I'll just add
> it to llvm-rtdyld.

The output format of llvm-nm and llvm-objdump is pretty locked given
that we want them to match the native nm and objdump.

It could be done in llvm-readobj, but that one is designed to dump
pretty much everything, so it is format specific.

llvm-rtdyld seems to be the winner.

Cheers,
Rafael