[llvm-dev] SF_Exported vs SF_Hidden

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 24 14:47:04 PST 2016

Hi Rui, Rafael, Kevin, Nick,

In r258665 I added a line to set the SF_Exported flag in COFFObjectFile -
the JIT needs this flag to distinguish exported symbols from non-exported
ones.

In the process of trying to write a test case for that, a couple of
questions came up:

(1) Previously COFF wasn't setting either SF_Exported or SF_Hidden. What is
the linker using to build the export table for DSOs? Is it just checking
the COFF flags directly?

(2) Is there any situation where 'SF_Exported' isn't just the inverse of
'SF_Hidden'? Can we get rid of one or the other of those flags?

(3) It looks like the symbol table dump format in both llvm-objdump and
llvm-nm is different for different object file formats. Should we be
listing the state of SF_Exported/SF_Hidden (or their format-specific
counterparts) in llvm-objdump or llvm-nm? If not, where's the most
reasonable place to dump the state of this flag? If nowhere else suits I
can add a new symbol-table dumping option to llvm-rtydld to expose this.

Cheers,
Lang.