[llvm-dev] Decompilation and the SSA form

Carter Cheng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 23 08:54:05 PST 2016

Thanks for the reply. I was looking over the papers describing the
respective projects you mentioned and it seems that from my limited
understanding these systems tend  to finesse the more complicated issues.
s2e does not explicitly explore the code to generate the full code at one
time and instead analyzes an execution trace tree thus avoiding the need
for merge point analysis via phi functions (since it does symbolic
execution I guess this makes sense). Revgen does not cope with the runtime
code "closure" problem and BAP uses a custom probably lower level IR.

The main thing I don't understand about mapping machine code to SSA is that
given that the control flow graph is not guaranteed to be static with both
runtime generated code and indirect jumps how is it possible to specify the
phi functions when the standard algorithm relies on these static graph like
properties.

Thanks again,

Carter.