[llvm-dev] LLVM - getAnalysisUsage()

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 22 13:43:18 PST 2016

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Syed Rafiul Hussain <rafiul1906 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have added -debug-pass=Structure, and found the following:
>
> ModulePass Manager
>    X Analysis
>      Unnamed pass: implement Pass::getPassName()
>    FunctionPass Manager
>      Module Verifier
>    Bitcode Writer
> Pass Arguments:  -x -y -z
>  FunctionPass Manager
>    X Analysis
>    Y Construction
>    Z Construction

This is suspicious to me, I think you try to anonymize the names but reused "X Analysis” two times (it shows up as a module pass the first time, and in a functionpass manager the second times).

> Even for getAnalysis<Y>(*F) and getAnalysis<Z>(&F), all the passes X,
> Y, Z are executed again. In total there are three places where
> getAnalysis() directive has been used for X, Y, Z. However, for each
> getAnalysis() call, all three passes are scheduled/executed.

Again the “getAnalysis()” has nothing to do with scheduling execution. All is decided with the getRequired calls.

—
Mehdi