[llvm-dev] lld: ELF/COFF main() interface

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 21 20:25:50 PST 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Arseny Kapoulkine <
arseny.kapoulkine at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  If I were a user, I definitely want the former instead of the latter
> because the former just provides more.
>
> This is if you wanted to use the library (e.g. embed linker into clang, do
> parallel linking of many executables from the same process, etc.). For some
> use cases there's no difference because the only thing you'll do with a
> library is link it into a command-line executable and run it.
> > The current design is not the result of a short-sighted choice but the
> result of a deliberate trade-off.
>
> I don't really understand where this is coming from, honestly. I
> understand the frustration of dealing with layers of abstractions that do
> not fit perfectly within the established framework. I do not understand the
> resistance to not using global state and propagating errors to the top
> level.

There is a trade-off. In order to use main as a library function, all
functions behind it have to pass around a context object, and all functions
that possibly fail have to be wrapped with ErrorOr. Some functions don't
need any context nor they never fail, so maybe we don't have to wrap every
function. But if you later find some leaf function needs a context object
or could fail, you've got to update all function that can reach there. It's
not too hard, but it is all a bit of pain.