[llvm-dev] Job Ad: Help build an LLVM JIT for Java bytecode

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 20 12:57:12 PST 2016

Azul's compiler team is looking for compiler engineers interested in
helping to push LLVM into new areas by building a high performance Just
In Time compiler for Java bytecode based on LLVM.  Positions will
include substantial amounts of open source contribution.

Ideal candidates will have:
- Interest in improving performance for higher level managed languages
- Strong C++ knowledge, Java/Scala/JRuby knowledge not required, but useful.
- Preferred: Proven experience with LLVM, or transferable experience
with another compiler.  We also welcome applications from new
contributors to the project.
- Comfortable working in a partially distributed but highly
collaborative team environment
- Optional: Someone comfortable (or is interested in becoming so) with
the x86 backend would be great to find

Location wise, we'd prefer someone willing to relocate to either
Sunnyvale, CA or St Petersburg, Russia, but remote hires are an option.

To apply or learn more, please reply to me directly.  (You can also use
the jobs email alias mentioned on the website, but a direct email will
save a couple of forwards.)

Full job ad
(http://www.azulsystems.com/about_us/careers/llvm-compiler-engineer):

    LLVM Compiler Engineer

Most of the world’s websites run on Java; and many of the world’s top
online enterprises and financial institutions run on Zing^® , Azul’s
award winning Java Virtual Machine.

Zing can easily handle 100’s of cores and 100’s of gigabytes of memory,
it can maintain high transaction rates and low-latency responses (~1
ms), and can elastically grow application heap usage. Indeed, Zing’s C4
collector eliminates “stop-the-world” garbage collection pauses that
limit the scalability of all other conventional JVMs.

Azul is especially strong for low-latency and large memory applications,
now we plan to make it the fastest JVM for all applications.

Position:
Java and other emerging languages such as Ruby and Scala present unique
optimization challenges. As part of the Azul Compiler team, you will be
designing and developing a new high-performance commercial-quality JIT
compiler based upon LLVM that will tackle these new optimization
challenges. The project will expand LLVM’s reach into a new area (Java
Virtual Machines) as well as to push Java’s performance to levels never
before reached by any other JIT compiler.

This is an opportunity to grow your skills and advance your career goals
while working with a top-notch team.

*Minimum Requirements:*

  * Strong C/C++ design and coding skills
  * 2+ years experience developing LLVM-based compilers
  * Strong background in Compiler Theory and Development
  * An independent and innovative thinker who communicates well and delivers

*Preferred Experience:*

  * PhD in Computer Science, and/or significant research experience
  * Solid experience in developing JVMs (Java Virtual Machines) and JIT
    compilers
  * Thorough knowledge of X86_64 instruction set and optimizations