[llvm-dev] Functions have two types, one can be mutated but not the other

Andy Ayers via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 20 10:19:47 PST 2016

Thanks. Our use case is pretty simple:

Create a function with some placeholder type.
Figure out the actual function type and create some IR that calls the function with that type. Update function’s type via mutateType.
Dump the module. The function’s “declaration” still shows it has the placeholder type.
This doesn’t cause us any problems because the IR is what matters and it’s got the right description.

FWIW we do this because the transformation from an MSIL signature to an ABI-level signature is somewhat involved, and we’ve intertwined the code to generate the right call sequence with the code that figures out what type you end up with once you’ve done all the various transformations, so to start things off, we need a way to refer to the function without knowing precisely what type it will end up with.