[llvm-dev] Problem with the way BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON handled in llvm 3.8

Ismail Donmez via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 19 09:29:18 PST 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Chris Bieneman <beanz at apple.com> wrote:
> The LLVM libraries are not API stable (especially not the ones you generate with BUILD_SHARED_LIBS). Those libraries are really not intended to ship.

I know that's why I need them versioned. Currently we (openSUSE) ship
libLLVM package which will install libLLVMFooBar.so.3.7 files and
llvm-devel package will ship unversioned libLLVMFooBar.so.

So, any application linking against LLVM generates a dependency
against the versioned libLLVMFooBar.so.3.7 and not against the
unversioned library. This way when we ship the new libLLVM 3.8 old
application will have to be recompiled to correctly link against the
new LLVM

LLVM 3.7 and before did this correctly and 3.8 should not break this.
As I said in another mail I tried -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON
-DLLVM_LINK_LLVM_DYLIB=ON but it's not currently usable as it is.

Thanks,
ismail