[llvm-dev] Some llvm questions (for a tgsi backend)

Matt Arsenault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 18 18:21:55 PST 2016

On 01/11/2016 06:35 AM, Hans de Goede via llvm-dev wrote:
> [...]
> "no-frame-pointer-elim-non-leaf" "no-infs-fp-math"="false"
> "no-nans-fp-math"="false" "stack-protector-buffer-size"="8"
> "unsafe-fp-math"="false" "use-soft-float"="false" }
> attributes #1 = { "disable-tail-calls"="false"
> "less-precise-fpmad"="false" "no-frame-pointer-elim"="true"
> "no-frame-pointer-elim-non-leaf" "no-infs-fp-math"="false"
> "no-nans-fp-math"="false" "stack-protector-buffer-size"="8"
> "unsafe-fp-math"="false" "use-soft-float"="false" }
> attributes #2 = { nounwind }
>
> !opencl.kernels = !{!0}
> !llvm.ident = !{!6}
>
> !0 = !{void (i32 addrspace(1)*, i32 addrspace(1)*)* @test_kern, !1,
> !2, !3, !4, !5}
> !1 = !{!"kernel_arg_addr_space", i32 1, i32 1}
> !2 = !{!"kernel_arg_access_qual", !"none", !"none"}
> !3 = !{!"kernel_arg_type", !"uint*", !"uint*"}
> !4 = !{!"kernel_arg_base_type", !"uint*", !"uint*"}
> !5 = !{!"kernel_arg_type_qual", !"", !""}
> !6 = !{!"clang version 3.8.0 (http://llvm.org/git/clang.git
> 9376f992e00569bd08a4ecf3a1d06d8b93c97681)
> (http://llvm.org/git/llvm.git 7a311143550c6fc01aa5000049825ecc09787440)"}
> !7 = !{!8, !8, i64 0}
> !8 = !{!"int", !9, i64 0}
> !9 = !{!"omnipotent char", !10, i64 0}
> !10 = !{!"Simple C/C++ TBAA"}
>
> And the generated "tgsi" looks like this:
>
>         .text
>         .file   "/home/hans/foo.cl"
>         .globl  test_kern
> test_kern:
>         BGNSUB
>         MOVis TEMP1x, 0
>         CAL _Z13get_global_idj
>         SHLs TEMP1y, TEMP1x, 7
>         LOADiis TEMP1z, [4]
>         UADDs TEMP1y, TEMP1z, TEMP1y
>         SHLs TEMP1x, TEMP1x, 2
>         LOADiis TEMP1z, [0]
>         UADDs TEMP1x, TEMP1z, TEMP1x
>         LOADgis TEMP1x, [TEMP1x]
>         INEGs TEMP1x, TEMP1x
>         LOADgis TEMP1z, [TEMP1y]
>         UADDs TEMP1x, TEMP1x, TEMP1z
>         STOREgis [TEMP1y], TEMP1x
>         RET
>         ENDSUB
>
> Working tgsi for this would look like this:
>
> COMP
> DCL SV[0], THREAD_ID[0]
> DCL TEMP[0], LOCAL
> DCL TEMP[1], LOCAL
> IMM UINT32 { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
> IMM UINT32 { 4, 0, 0, 0 }
> IMM UINT32 { 128, 0, 0, 0 }
>
> BGNSUB
>        LOAD TEMP[0].xy, RINPUT, IMM[0]
>        UMUL TEMP[1].x, SV[0], IMM[1]
>        UADD TEMP[0].x, TEMP[0], TEMP[1]
>        UMUL TEMP[1].x, SV[0], IMM[2]
>        UADD TEMP[0].y, TEMP[0], TEMP[1].xxxx
>        LOAD TEMP[1].x, RGLOBAL, TEMP[0]
>        LOAD TEMP[0].x, RGLOBAL, TEMP[0].yyyy
>        UADD TEMP[1].x, TEMP[0], -TEMP[1]
>        STORE RGLOBAL.x, TEMP[0].yyyy, TEMP[1]
>        RET
> ENDSUB;
>
> So my questions (I'm still quite green when it comes to llvm):
>
> 1) As you can see a proper tgsi program needs a header
> to declare which registers (etc) it is using, in which
Module level declarations need to be handled in the AsmPrinter. There
are various hooks for printing things like this at different points in
the module.

> 2) Immediates need to be declared with a specific
> value and then addressed as IMM[x], how would I go about
> this ?
This is very painful, and I'm not really sure what the best way to deal
with this is. I would recommend against what AMDIL did for this, which
was jam these into a map in a class attached to the MachineModuleInfo
updated every time an immediate operand is added. I would probably
implement this as a late custom pass which looks for any immediate
operands, and create new symbols as new immediates are encountered.

> 3) The get_global_id call needs to be translated into
> simply using the SV[0] "register", how would I go about
> this ?
You can implement this with an intrinsic, which you can then lower to a
read from a register. For an example, look at how amdgcn_dispatch_ptr is
implemented.

> 4) The global and input load / stores are not handled
> correctly, I see that the LOAD instructions get postfixed
> with a i reps. g for input / global how would I go about
> modifying the code emitter (AsmPrinter?) to change "LOADi"
> into "LOAD <dest> RINPUT <offset>"?
>
> 5) Talking about the lowecase suffixes to the instructions,
> these should not be part of the output, how do I filter these?
However you have defined the AsmString for the instructions is including
these. You are probably defining your AsmString in some simple way that
includes the full instruction record name as part of it. Also note that
it isn't really necessary to have different instructions for different
immediate/register operands, although many targets still do this.

> 6) And finally, the current llvm-tgsi output uses e.g.
> TEMP1y where as for the destination it should use TEMP[1].y
> and for the sources it should use TEMP[1].xxxx (so include
> proper swizzling info).

You need to implement a custom printOperand in your InstPrinter if you
want to change how registers are formatted.