[llvm-dev] lld: ELF/COFF main() interface

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 13 18:06:41 PST 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 7:18 AM Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>>> That the new ELF and COFF linkers are designed as commands instead of
>>> libraries is very much an intended design change.
>>>

>> I disagree.
>>
>> During the discussion, there was a *specific* discussion of both the new
>> COFF port and ELF port continuing to be libraries with a common command
>> line driver.
>>

> There was a discussion that we would keep the same entry point for the old
> and the new, but I don't remember if I promised that we were going to
> organize the new linker as a library. The new one is designed as a command
> from day one.

My recollection is that the plan was to basically factor out of COFF/ELF2
and into LLVM whenever we saw the need to share functionality (not just
between COFF and ELF2, or with MCJIT, but in general).

I guess the question is whether eventually enough stuff will be factored
out into libraries that we will have a coherent set of reusable "linker
libraries" (in which case it might make sense to pull those out of LLVM and
into lld/{include,lib}) and the COFF/ELF2 command line programs will
naturally become "thin wrappers around the library code".

At this point it is unclear (to me, at least) whether that will happen or
not. If not, then in order to meet the use case of linker functionality in
a library, we will have to take the command line programs and do some
straightforward transformations to get a "main() in a library"  type
interface (MemoryBuffer's instead of filenames, etc.) to meet those use
cases.

Of course, the "main() in a library" scenario is a bit depressing and we
should avoid it if possible, since it really does go against the whole LLVM
philosophy. The atom LLD warned us of the dangers of
overgeneralizing/overabstracting important details/specifics that linkers
actually have to deal with, so it's natural that COFF/ELF2 is a reaction to
this. We just need to make sure that we find the right middle ground and
don't get stuck in the opposite extreme that the atom LLD got stuck in.
There is a saying that "you have to go too far to know how far is far
enough"; I think right now we are exploring the "not a library / not
generalized / not abstracted" side of things and will incrementally pull
back towards the right middle ground as we gain experience and new and
interesting use cases come within reach.

-- Sean Silva