[llvm-dev] [GlobalISel] A Proposal for global instruction selection

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 8 14:40:54 PST 2016

On 01/08/2016 09:12 AM, Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev wrote:

>> On Jan 8, 2016, at 8:51 AM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com
>> <mailto:mehdi.amini at apple.com>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 8, 2016, at 1:34 AM, David Chisnall via llvm-dev
>>> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:

>>> I believe that this is somewhere where the IR specification needs to
>>> evolve.  Currently, we have no in-tree architectures where pointers
>>> are not integers and so that definition is appropriate.  Adding a
>>> new pair of IR instructions for integer-to-pointer and
>>> pointer-to-integer conversions and not calling them inttoptr /
>>> ptrtoint is likely to be far more confusing.
>>
>> I think this would deserve its own RFC email thread.
>
> +1
FYI, we need something very similar for GC purposes and are going to
make a proposal along these lines within the next week or two.  We not
yet to the point of having a "final" proposal, but we're planning on
starting with some initial experimental support, prototyping on ToT, and
evolving the spec language as we need to. Details to follow separately.

David, you and I should probably talk offline to make sure what we're
thinking about works for you as well.