[llvm-dev] lld: ELF/COFF main() interface

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 7 18:16:43 PST 2016

Hi Rui,

This is tangential to the library design discussion, but may be interesting:

> Linking against the current process image is pretty different from
regular static linking, so most part of the linker is probably not useful.
Some part of relocation handling might be found useful, but it is too early
to say anything about that. We should revisit when the linker become mature
and an actual need arises.

The JIT's RuntimeDyld linker already contains a stack of static linking
logic, though the implementation is very crufty in places. The idea
underlying idea behind MCJIT and ORC is that JITing LLVM just involves
taking the object files from codegen and statically and dynamically linking
them in-memory without going to disk.

I suspect that we can retrofit a full static linker library to the JIT by
playing some simple games with segment and section addresses (we'll use
addresses pre-allocated in the process's address space) and absolute
symbols (for already-JIT'd code).

That glosses over a lot of leg-work, it's the 20,000ft view of what I have
in mind.

- Lang.