[llvm-dev] TargetTransformInfo getOperationCost uses

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 5 13:11:41 PST 2016

Hi Matt,

So the problem here is that, as you imply, TTI has two cost models: One is used for vectorization (and has received a fair amount of attention), and one is used for inlining/unrolling, and has received less attention.

The vectorization cost model is, generally speaking, concerned with instruction throughputs, and is used to estimate the relative speed of a vectorized loop vs. the scalar one (it assumes that a proper amount of ILP is available, or created by interleaving, such that the throughputs matter much more than the latencies).

The "user" code model, used by the inliner and unroller, is concerned with estimating something more-closely related to code size (although there is obviously a desired correlation with performance). It has primarily been customized to let the inliner/unroller, on a target specific basis, understand that certain zext/sexts are free, etc.

As you also imply. there has been a lot more specific target customization work on the vectorization cost model. To be honest, I don't think this situation is ideal (we could have one cost model that returns information on size, latency and throughput that is used by all clients). Nevertheless, hopefully this makes things somewhat clearer.

-Hal