[llvm-dev] trouble hoisting GlobalValues

Steve King via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 4 11:42:41 PST 2016

Hi Guys,

TL;DR: Perhaps we need ISD::OPAQUE instead of more abuse of ISD::BITCAST.

For global values, none of the suggested solutions work well.  The
root of the matter is that we overload ISD::BITCAST with the implicit
role of "ISD::OPAQUE".  However, existing code doesn't treat
ISD::BITCAST as an generally opaque value, since bitcasts and opacity
are two different semantics with sometimes opposite behavior.

Some specific problems:
1) In more than one well buried code path, the compiler
opportunistically removes ISD::BITCAST.  This makes perfect sense for
a BITCAST, but is the opposite of what we want for opaque value.
2) A special exception was coded for a bitcast of a ConstantInt that
prevents premature removal of the BITCAST.  The overall behavior is
non-obvious since it fooled us all into thinking that bitcasts create
more general opaque values.
3) Instruction definition solutions like Zia's work only in the scope
of a basic block (correct?).  This approach also requires targets to
code exceptions for every instruction that *might* use an opaque
value, rather that just one instruction to handle an opaque value.
Long term, my feeling is that this approach requires too much
redundancy.
4) In my specific case, I had a very frustrating time trying to add
global values into the opaque-ifying code paths used by ConstantInt.
Many of the code paths were new to me, but I bumped into subtle
problems trying to sneak global values through in this manner
sometimes due to (1) above.

What do you all think of a first class ISD::OPAQUE operation?  The
basic concept embodied is that optimizations, mostly folding, should
not look through OPAQUE.  ISD::OPAQUE would not imply any casting or
transform.

Some positives:
1) We avoid an ever increasing number of exceptions being added to
BITCAST handling to create opaque values.
2) ISD::OPAQUE could at least be used in a global and constant
hoisting passes, maybe elsewhere.
3) Specical case BITCAST handling for ConstantInt special case moves
to ISD::OPAQUE where it's semantically more accurate.  Target
independent code resolves ISD::OPAQUE as a constant load as we do for
BITCAST today.  Targets never see it.
4) Targets that enable a hypothetical global hoisting would lower
ISD::OPAQUE as an immediate-to-register operation.  No need to
duplicate the rest of their instruction definitions that might touch
an opaque value.

Some negatives:
1) Yet another IR instruction
2) Usage is somewhat niche, suited mostly to minimal code size optimizations.

Does any of this sound sensible?

Regards,
-steve