[llvm-dev] RFC: Add bitcode tests to test-suite

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 29 23:55:20 PST 2016

> On Feb 29, 2016, at 11:28 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
>
> I really don't understand this. Why is a C++ reference useful? Instead, we have an IR reference: the unoptimized IR.

Mmmmm, thinking more about it, yes we could compile the IR two times and use the unoptimized one as a reference.
However, right now the tests are only running llc, so the optimization level is not that impactful and it is not clear to me that a miscompile would be detected this way.

Which lead me to a separate question for Alina: is this IR "unoptimized"? What kind of optimization pipeline is used by Halide? Is the plan to only exercise the CodeGen?

> I think it pretty important to not phrase everything in terms of C or C++ or Clang... =/
>
> What if there are IR constructs that simply cannot be produced by C++? We're adding lots of those for managed languages.

Having a first-class test-suite for IR with a managed runtime is probably a whole new discussion :)

> If there is a practical concern with having IR-based test cases, I'd like to actually discuss those head on rather than fishing for phrasing even more of our testing in terms of a single language and front-end.

I think we're not talking about the same thing, because I feel that "phrasing the test in term of a single language" is misrepresenting my point about having a reference in C++. I mentioned in a previous email that I'm all for having the Halide source file along the IR to "phrase the test".
The point about the reference is "how to validate the output of running the IR test"?
I'm fine with alternate design, like having the reference computed in Python or Julia (or ...), but I assumed C++ would seem just more natural to everyone and integrates with the test infrastructure (written in C++).
I'm also fine with having a textual reference output file instead of a C++ code that computes it (I believe this is what we are doing for the C/C++ tests in the test-suite), but we are losing the current scheme to have a random input for these tests.
(by the way Alina: the seed needs to be kept and printed on errors for reproducibility, also a command line option would be nice to pass it).

--
Mehdi