[llvm-dev] Add support for in-process profile merging in profile-runtime

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Feb 28 10:59:37 PST 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> collected
>> > for different workloads for the same executable binary need to be
>> collected
>> > and merged later by the offline post-processing tool.  This limitation
>> makes
>> > it hard to handle cases where the instrumented binary needs to be run
>> with
>> > large number of small workloads, possibly in parallel.  For instance,
>> to do
>> > PGO for clang, we may choose to  build  a large project with the
>> instrumented
>> > Clang binary. This is because
>> >
>> > 1) to avoid profile from different runs from overriding others, %p
>> >    substitution needs to be specified in either the command line or an
>> >    environment variable so that different process can dump profile data
>> >    into its own file named using pid.
>>
>> ... or you can specify a more specific name that describes what's under
>> test, instead of %p.
>>

> yes -- but the problem still exists -- each training process will need its
> own copy of raw profile.
>

>> >    This will create huge requirement on the disk storage. For
>> >    instance, clang's raw profile size is typically 80M -- if the
>> >    instrumented clang is used to build a medium to large size project
>> >    (such as clang itself), profile data can easily use up hundreds of
>> >    Gig bytes of local storage.
>>
>> This argument is kind of confusing. It says that one profile is
>> typicially 80M, then claims that this uses 100s of GB of data. From
>> these statements that only makes sense I suppose that's true if you run
>> 1000 profiling runs without merging the data in between. Is that what
>> you're talking about, or did I miss something?
>>

> Yes. For instance,  first build a  clang with
> -fprofile-instr-generate=prof.data.%p, and use this instrumented clang to
> build another large project such as clang itself. The second build will
> produce tons of profile data.
>

>> > 2) pid can also be recycled. This means that some of the profile data
>> may be
>> >    overridden without being noticed.
>> >
>> > The way to solve this problem is to allow profile data to be merged in
>> > process.
>>
>> I'm not convinced. Can you provide some more concrete examples of where
>> the out of process merging model fails? This was a *very deliberate*
>> design decision in how clang's profiling works, and most of the
>> subsequent decisions have been based on this initial one. Changing it
>> has far reaching effects.
>

> I am not proposing changing the out of process merging -- it is still
> needed. What I meant is that, in a scenario where the instrumented binaries
> are running multiple times (using their existing running harness), there is
> no good/automatic way of making sure different process's profile data won't
> have name conflict.
>

> Could the profile file be named from a hash of the profile data themselves?

That will solve the name conflict problem -- but the problem with larger
resource requirement is still there :)

> Even with that I still like the direction you're heading to. To avoid
> contention on the "file locking", could there be a pool of output files? I
> don't know how to map a new process to one output file without a lock
> somewhere though.

We can certainly introduce something like that when lock contention becomes
an issue (which is a great idea by the way, and quite straightforward to
implement). From my initial experiment, it does seem to be a problem.

thanks,

David