[llvm-dev] Add support for in-process profile merging in profile-runtime

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 27 18:50:05 PST 2016

I have thought about this issue too, in the context of games. We may want
to turn profiling only for certain frames (essentially, this is many small
profile runs).

However, I have not seen it demonstrated that this kind of refined data
collection will actually improve PGO results in practice.
The evidence I do have though is that IIRC Apple have found that almost all
of the benefits of PGO for the Clang binary can be gotten with a handful of
training runs of Clang. Are your findings different?

Also, in general, I am very wary of file locking. This can cause huge
amounts of slowdown for a build and has potential portability problems. I
don't see it as a substantially better solution than wrapping clang in a
script that runs clang and then just calls llvm-profdata to do the merging.
Running llvm-profdata is cheap compared to doing locking in a highly
parallel situation like a build.

-- Sean Silva