[llvm-dev] Is a PHI use of another PHI in the same block valid?

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 26 09:29:04 PST 2016

If we decide not to be legal, should we change the verify to reject
it? What happens to the test cases that currently test this very
situation (eg. Transforms/LoopVectorize/phi-hang.ll)?

The change as suggested by Philip is:

-  Assert(InstsInThisBlock.count(Op) || DT.dominates(Op, U),
+  Assert((!isa<PHINode>(I) && InstsInThisBlock.count(Op)) ||
+         DT.dominates(Op, U),
+         "Instruction does not dominate all uses!", Op, &I);

Michael