[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 25 13:24:39 PST 2016

> On Feb 25, 2016, at 4:05 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 25 February 2016 at 11:54, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:
>> GitHub offers  a simple *raw* git hosting. All the fork&pull-request is sugar in the web interface. You don't *have to* use it.
>
> I mentioned this below. I was referring how GitHub *expects* to be used.

I fundamentally disagree with this (and yes, I am a frequent github user, username=lattner).

GitHub supports LLVM style development as it is today (well, but obviously using git instead of svn).  A project can maintain a list of committers, and they have direct push access to the repository.  This workflow obviously supports the existing “send patch to -commits” or phabricator paths, and people with commit access can apply patches for people without commit access.

The vastly superior thing about Github is that it gives you the *ability* to also support pull request.  PR’s are totally awesome from a community outreach support, because it drastically lowers that barrier for minor contributions to the project from people who do not have commit access.  The workflow is seriously a huge step up from what we do on llvm.org.

In any case, while I’m very positive about moving the program testsuite to github, I consider it obvious that anyone with direct commit access to an llvm.org repo would also have direct commit access to the program testsuite, and we’d use the same policies for what kinds of changes are allowed.  PR’s would just be a great new workflow to enable new kinds of people to make contributions in an easier way.

-Chris