[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 13:37:07 PST 2016

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 1:31 PM, John Criswell via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 2/24/16 4:25 PM, Matthias Braun via llvm-dev wrote:
>> I don't really care where the repository is located, but I do have some comments on the future test-suite directions:
>>
>>> On Feb 24, 2016, at 12:57 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Subject kinda says it all. Here is my rationale:
>>>
>>> The test-suite is really weird relative to the rest of the LLVM project:
>>> 1) It contains all manner of crazily licensed code.
>> That's indeed a good reason to move the repository away.
>
> I don't see that as a reason to move the repository.  Where a repository lives and what format it uses is an orthogonal issue to what license the software within the repository is allowed to use.  There are policies on what licenses can be used for Clang and LLVM code; the policy for the allowed licenses in test-suite is just different.
>

>>> 2) We don't really care about the history at all. Any concerns around linear history or bisection are pretty much irrelevant.
>> We do care about the history. Sometimes benchmarks get fixed or tweaked which may change the results, we should be able to dig into the history to see what happened when. In any way retaining the history wouldn't be a problem, would it?
>
> I think Chandler's point (Chandler, please correct me if I'm wrong) is that it's not important to a) match the test suite revision numbers to LLVM source code revision numbers and b) copy the SVN history to the Github repository.
Okay if this is about increasing subversion revision numbers. There is always data/time to related commits to each other. And I'd agree that matching a specific llvm/clang revision to a test-suite revision is not that useful. In fact I like the fact that you can mix and match different clang and test-suite revisions and not just have 1 giant checkout with clang/llvm + test-suite moving in sync.
As for history: The old subversion revision numbers are also still part of the commit descriptions anyway, so it is still possible to reconstruct things.

- Matthias