[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Jonathan Roelofs via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 13:20:24 PST 2016

On 2/24/16 1:57 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev wrote:
> Subject kinda says it all. Here is my rationale:
>
> The test-suite is really weird relative to the rest of the LLVM project:
> 1) It contains all manner of crazily licensed code.
> 2) We don't really care about the history at all. Any concerns around
> linear history or bisection are pretty much irrelevant.
> 3) We don't ever plan to have LLVM code move into or out from the test-suite
> 4) Its already big, and really should be much bigger. We shouldn't have
> incentives to keep stuff out of the test suite because of size, hosting
> cost, or anything else.

There are two size limitations w.r.t. moving to github:

1) They have a prohibition on having individual files over 100M [1],
unless the repository is set up with their Git LFS plugin. This plugin
hasn't been around all that long, and is not something I would use in
production. (Not to mention the fact that it's not supported on public
forks anyway [2])

The largest individual files in the test-suite are around 10-12M, so
this isn't a problem yet, but it could become one later... something to
think about.

2) There is the cap on total repository size, which is in the
neighborhood of 1Gb [3]. A fresh checkout of test-suite clocks in at
just over 3Gb. This one actually is a problem.

> For all of these reasons, and also because I'd like to see how well (or
> rather, how poorly) a service like GitHub actually works for the
> project, it seems like splitting the test-suite out of the current
> subversion repository and moving it there is the right call.
>
> When I chatted with folks on the board, this made sense to them as well,
> and I've made sure we have a reasonable LLVM organization set up on
> GitHub and all the board members are on it: https://github.com/llvm (I
> think only my membership is public at the moment).
>
> There is still plenty to figure out about how to manage this on github,
> but before doing anything else I just wanted to shoot an email and see
> if folks like this idea.

+1, assuming it can be made to work given the other concerns above.

Jon

1: https://help.github.com/articles/working-with-large-files/
2: https://github.com/github/git-lfs/issues/773#issuecomment-150569337
3: https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota/