[llvm-dev] [3.8 Release] RC3 has been tagged

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 11:23:16 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Am 24.02.2016 um 14:07 schrieb Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev:
>>
>> Git tags and SVN tags are completely different beasts (git tag is
>> simply a "second name" attached to revision, while on svn the tag
>> could be arbitrary different). There is no way to automate the process
>> - in general svn tag might not correspond (by contents) to any other
>> revision in the repository.
>

> I wasn't aware that such a thing is even possible - isn't an SVN tag
> associated with a set of file at specific revisions that you can check out?
> If yes, would it be possible to organize the LLVM workflow so that whenever
> a tag is placed, everything is checked out from SVN, checked into git, and
> tagged in git?

In practice, the svn tags we make don't contain arbitrary content
though, they are a copy of the contents on the branch at a specific
revision, and there is a git hash corresponding to it - it would just
be pretty fiddly to hook this up, I expect.

Thanks,
Hans