[llvm-dev] Who patches the fixups?

Jun Koi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 16 05:04:19 PST 2016

Hi,

I am trying to undertand which code in LLVM patches the fixups generated by
assembler.

Here is what I am doing: I use "llvm-mc" to compile X86 assembly code, like
below:

$ echo "jmp 5000" | ./bin/llvm-mc -assemble -triple=i386 -show-encoding
-x86-asm-syntax=att -output-asm-variant=1
    .text
    jmp    5000                    # encoding: [0xeb,A]
                                        #   fixup A - offset: 1, value:
5000-1, kind: FK_PCRel_1

Now there are fixups in the encoding, and this must be patches by LLVM
somewhere. My best guess is that the next phase after assembly compilation
will patch them, but not very sure where in LLVM compiler does this.

Any hints on how the compiler patch the fixups after assembler phase? (a
pointer to source code is great, so i can read the source and have better
understanding)

Thanks,
Jun