[llvm-dev] WebKit B3 (was LLVM Weekly - #110, Feb 8th 2016)

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 16 01:14:39 PST 2016

On 15 Feb 2016, at 23:12, Andrew Trick via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Prior to FTL, JavaScriptCore had no dependence on the LLVM project. Maintaining a dependence on an external project naturally has integration overhead.

And the fact that a company that has as much in-house LLVM expertise as Apple decided that this was a significant burden is something that we should take note of.  LLVM is particularly unfriendly to out-of-tree developers, with no attempt made to provide API compatibility between releases.  I maintain several out-of-tree projects that use LLVM and the effort involved in moving between major releases is significant (and not much more than the effort involved in moving between svn head revisions so, like most other projects, I don’t test with head until there’s a release candidate - or often after the release, if I don’t have a few days to update to the new APIs, which means that we lose out on a load of testing that other library projects get for free).  Methods are removed or renamed with no deprecation warnings and often without any documentation indicating what their usage should be replaced with.  Even for a fairly small project, upgrading between point releases of LLVM is typically a few days of effort.

David