[llvm-dev] WebKit B3 (was LLVM Weekly - #110, Feb 8th 2016)

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 15 17:34:59 PST 2016

On 02/15/2016 04:57 PM, Andrew Trick wrote:

>> On Feb 15, 2016, at 4:25 PM, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com
>> <mailto:listmail at philipreames.com>> wrote:
>>
>> After reading
>> https://webkit.org/blog/5852/introducing-the-b3-jit-compiler/., I
>> jotted down a couple of thoughts of my own here:
>> http://www.philipreames.com/Blog/2016/02/15/quick-thoughts-on-webkits-b3/
>
> Thanks for sharing. I think it’s worth noting that what you are doing
> would be considered 5th tier for WebKit, since you already had a
> decent optimizing backend without LLVM.
So, serious, but naive question: what are the other tiers for?  My
mental model is generally:
tier 0 - interpreter or splat compiler -- (to deal with run once code)
tier 1 - a fast (above all else) but decent compiler which gets the
obvious stuff -- (does most of the compilation by methods)
tier 2 - a good, but fast, compiler which generates good quality code
without burning too much time -- (specifically for the hotish stuff)
tier 3 - "a compile time does not matter, get this hot method" compiler,
decidedly optional -- (compiles only *really* hot stuff)

(Profiling is handled by tier 0, and tier 1, in the above.)

It really sounds to me like FTL is positioned somewhere between tier 1
and tier 2 in the above.  Is that about right?
> You also have more room for background compilation threads and aren’t
> benchmarking on a MacBook Air.
True! Both definitely matter.