[llvm-dev] Guidance on cross compiling LLVM with mingw-w64 and cmake

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 11 10:27:04 PST 2016

Sadly you are way out in uncharted territory. I’m unaware of anyone using gcc to cross-compile LLVM. At Apple we extensively cross-compile, but we use clang as our host compiler.

I’m not sure why you’re seeing the native CMake picking up your cross-compiler instead of your host compiler. Our CMake scripts don’t pass through he compiler from one configuration to the next. I’m guessing the “native” CMake is probably picking up the cross-compiler from the environment somehow (maybe the CC and CXX envar).

You can probably work around the issue by configuring a host LLVM directory and passing that directory into your cross-configured CMake invocation with the LLVM_NATIVE_BUILD option.

Because you are off in uncharted territory I expect you’re mostly going to be on your own for debugging and diagnosing. I can answer specific questions, but I haven’t used a gcc toolchain for cross-compiling since the early days of the PS3 (and I’ve pretty much blocked that out of my memory).

-Chris