[llvm-dev] [RFC] Lanai backend

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 10 05:14:59 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 1:31 PM, David Chisnall via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I wonder if maintaining an out-of-tree backend would be less painful if
> more people, particularly people employed by companies that also employ a
> lot of people who work on the rest of LLVM, did it.

Here's one trivial thing that's a huge pain: there is a file with a list of
supported backends all on one line. Any change at all to this line causes
merge conflicts on every update. The list could be perfectly well split
into one line per backend.

Also, another place does have that list on multiple lines, sorted by
(apparently) the order in which support was added. So if you add you out of
tree backend to the end of the list then you get a ton of conflicts.
Sorting the list, say, alphabetically would reduce that a lot. Or, I guess,
adding your out of tree backend somewhere other than at the end...

Yes, I probably should submit a patch. Should have years ago. Instead I
just swear a bit.