[llvm-dev] Vectorization with fast-math on irregular ISA sub-sets

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 12:29:26 PST 2016

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Renato Golin" <renato.golin at linaro.org>

No, it just means that the intrinsics need to set the appropriate fast-math flags on the instructions generated. This might require some frontend enablement work, so be it.

There might be a slight issue with legacy IR bitcode, but if that's going to be a problem in practice, we can design some scheme to let auto-upgrade do the right thing.

> If the scalarisation is in IR, then any NEON intrinsic in C code will
> get wrongly scalarised. Builtins can be lowered in either IR
> operations or builtins, and the back-end has no way of knowing the
> origin.
>
> If the scalarization is lower down, then we risk also changing inline
> ASM snippets, which is even worse.

Yes, but we don't do that, so that's not a practical concern.

> James' idea on this one is to have an additional flag to *enable*
> such
> scalarisation when the user cares too much about it, which I also
> think it's a better idea than to make that the default behaviour.

The --stop-pretending-to-be-IEEE-compliant-when-not-really flag? ;) I don't think that's a good idea.

To be fair, our IR language reference does not actually say that our floating-point arithmetic is IEEE compliant, but it is implied, and frontends depend on this fact. We really should not change the IR floating-point semantics contract over this. It might require some user education, but that's much better than producing subtly-wrong results.

We have a pass-feedback mechanism, I think it would be very useful for compiling with -Rpass-missed=loop-vectorize and/or -Rpass-analysis=loop-vectorize helpfully informed users that compiling with -ffast-math and/or -ffinite-math-only and -fno-signed-zeros would allow the loop to be vectorized for the targeted hardware.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist