[llvm-dev] Question about __builtin_object_size

George Burgess IV via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 11:32:51 PST 2016

Hi!

This is an artifact of how LLVM works. Essentially, LLVM detects that `var`
is unused and deletes it before it tries to lower the `llvm.objectsize`
(which is what clang lowers `__builtin_object_size` to) call to a constant.
While this isn't ideal, I don't think it realistically a problem, because
`var` must be otherwise unused for this behavior to occur, and the whole
purpose of objectsize functions (so far) is to insert bounds checks when a
variable is used.

If this quirk is causing real problems for you, please let me know and I'll
see what I can do about fixing it. :)

Thanks for pointing this out!
George