[llvm-dev] [RFC] Lanai backend

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 10:21:54 PST 2016

On 9 February 2016 at 18:05, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Mostly, I wanted to offer to upstream this because it seems likely about the
> same utility as the AMDGPU backend for folks without an AMDGPU, or the XCore
> backend, etc. It's small, and we're happy maintaining it and taking on any
> of the effort around it. We're also happy with the usual policy of if the
> maintainers stop showing up, the backend goes away.

I was going to mention it, but you guys know very well the drill, so
unless this hardware changes fundamental parts of the middle end in
ways that are unnatural to most other targets (doesn't seem that way),
then I see no reason why not have it upstream.

However, there are no tests at all on the reviews, and that is a red
flag. I was expecting Clang driver tests, code-gen tests, instruction
encoding/decoding, ABI and frame lowering tests, etc. Without these, I
can't see the benefits of having the target upstream, since I'll have
no idea what your target is expected to do when I add/change some
generic code generation option.

cheers,
--renato