[llvm-dev] Adding support for self-modifying branches to LLVM?

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 08:07:39 PST 2016

On 02/09/2016 06:57 AM, Jonas Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm coming back to this old thread with data about the performance of
> NOPs. Recalling that I was considering transforming NOP instructions
> into branches and back, in order to dynamically enable code. One use
> case for this was enabling/disabling individual sanitizer checks
> (ASan, UBSan) on demand.
>
> I wrote a pass which takes an ASan-instrumented program, and replaces
> each ASan check with an llvm.experimental.patchpoint intrinsic. This
> intrinsic inserts a NOP of configurable size. It has otherwise no
> effect on the program semantics. It does prevent some optimizations,
> presumably because instructions cannot be moved across the patchpoint.
>
> Some results:
> - On SPEC, patchpoints introduce an overhead of ~25% compared to a
> version where ASan checks are removed.
> - This is almost half of the cost of the checks themselves.
> - The results are similar for NOPs of size 1 and 5 bytes.
> - Interestingly, the results are similar for NOPs of 0 bytes, too.
> These are patchpoints that don't insert any code and only inhibit
> optimizations. I've only tested this on one benchmark, though.
>
> To summarize, only part of the cost of NOPs is due to executing them.
> Their effect on optimizations is significant, too. I guess this would
> hold for branches and sanitizer checks as well.
I don't think you can really draw strong conclusions from the
experiments you described.  What you've ended up measuring is nearly the
impact of not optimizing over patchpoints at the check locations.  This
doesn't really tell you much about what a check (which is likely to
inhibit optimization much less) costs over a nop at the same position.

One bit of data you could extract from the experiment as constructed
would be the relative cost of extra nops.  You do mention that the
results are similar for sizes 1-5 bytes, but similar is very vague in
this context.  Are the results statistically indistinguishable? Or is
there a noticeable but small slowdown that results?  (Numbers would be
great here.)