[llvm-dev] Zurich LLVM Social - February 11, 2016 - ETH

Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 05:35:17 PST 2016

On 02/02/2016 11:56 AM, Tobias Grosser wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we are organizing a "Zurich LLVM Social" on Thursday, February 11, 19:00
> at ETH and invite interested people to attend.
>
> # Registration (to facilitate planning):
>
> https://ethz.doodle.com/poll/x5chi26ea2fs7tgq

This is taking place Thursday.

Will will have two external visitors, Michael Kruse and Giorgio Zachero
form Paris and Lugano, presenting their work. Talks will start 19:15.

1) Lattice QCD Optimization and Polytopic Representations
    of Distributed Memory in LLVM

Motivated by modern day physics, which in addition to experiments also
tries to verify and deduce laws of nature by simulating the
state-of-the-art physical models using large computers, we explore means
of accelerating such simulations by improving the simulation programs
they run. The primary focus is Lattice Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD), a
branch of quantum field theory, running on IBM newest supercomputer, the
Blue Gene/Q.

Molly is an LLVM compiler extension, complementary to Polly, which
optimizes the distribution of data and work between the nodes of a
cluster machine such as Blue Gene/Q. It is meant as a starting point for
a framework that allows general data layout transformations, not only of
distributed memory, but also of shared memory, caches, etc. Molly
represents arrays using integer polyhedra and uses another already
existing compiler extension Polly which represents statements and loops
using polyhedra. When Molly knows how data is distributed  among the
nodes and where statements are executed, it adds code that manages the
data flow between the nodes.

Speaker: Michael Kruse

2) Targetting Application-Specific Instruction Set Processors with LLVM

LLVM provides many ways to perform Analysis and Transform passes on
software applications. The process of identifying parts of computation
(Custom Instructions) in software, can be automated and also become
highly efficient by exploiting the analysis that can be provided by
custom written LLVM analysis passes. The final goal is to implement
these Custom Instructions in Hardware accelerators in embedded
processors, such as Application-Specific Instruction Set Processors
(ASIPs) that support hybrid HW-SW execution. As a result, an
order-of-magnitude performance improvement has been demonstrated with
respect to state-of-the-art methodologies.

Speaker: Giorgio Zacharo

Michael Kruse
=============
Michael Kruse is a postdoctoral researcher at the École Normale
Supérieur and INRIA in Paris/France, working on polyhedral compilers.
His academic career began at the University of Paderborn/Germany to
study computer sciences and graduated with a Bachelor's thesis about
parser generators and a Master's thesis about register allocation.
Afterwards he moved to the University of Paris-South XI following a PhD
program with the goal to accelerate Lattice QCD simulations. In
2014 he defended his PhD thesis "Lattice QCD Optimization and
Polytopic Representations of Polyhedral Memory" for which he started
the development of Molly. In the following Post-Doc he contributed to
the European projects CARP and COPCAMS, helping to develop the
toolchain for PENCIL, a domain-specific intermediate language intended
to compile sequential code for GPUs. As part of the Pollylabs
initiative, he also develops for the Polly project, the polyhedral
optimizer for LLVM.

Giorgio Zacharo
===============
Georgios Zacharopoulos is a PhD student in the faculty of Informatics,
at University of Lugano, Switzerland. He received his MSc degree in
Computer Science from Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden in 2015.
His current research includes compiler optimisations, focused on
automating embedded processor customization. (e.g. Application-Specific
Instruction Set Processors) More specifically, automatic Identification
of Custom Instructions (CIs) in software applications for High Level
Synthesis.

Supervisor : Associate Professor, Laura Pozzi, Faculty of Informatics,
University of Lugano