[llvm-dev] DCE in the presence of control flow.

Mark Lacey via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 2 11:59:33 PST 2016

> On Jan 29, 2016, at 8:31 PM, David Callahan via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I think you can also avoid the RDF computation using a more directed form of control dependence testing such as described in
>
> Keshav Pingali and Gianfranco Bilardi. 1997. Optimal control dependence computation and the Roman chariots problem. ACM Trans. Program. Lang. Syst. 19, 3 (May 1997), 462-491. DOI=http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/256167.256217 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/256167.256217>
>
> However one challenge seems to be fixing the SSA graph after deleting essentially arbitrary connected regions of the control flow graph. It may be that the common case where deleted control flow has a single entry and a common post-dominator which seems straight forward but in the general case it seems much harder. Any prior experience on that problem?
> david

Hi David,

You may want to consider looking at the implementation of DCE in the Swift optimizer. It should be fairly straightforward to follow despite not being LLVM IR.

I implemented something inspired by the above paper, but it does not implement the full construction of the sets mentioned in the paper. Instead it precomputes some information to attempt to do a limited walk of the post-dominator tree. I think it has worked well in practice.

The code for the precomputation portion starts here: https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/lib/SILOptimizer/Transforms/DeadCodeElimination.cpp#L502 <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/lib/SILOptimizer/Transforms/DeadCodeElimination.cpp#L502>

Feel free to ping me off list if you have any questions about it.

Mark