[llvm-dev] Regarding Compiler support

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 27 15:21:50 PST 2016

Typically it means if you have source code using those things, the compiler
can compile that into something sensible.

> For example multiple compilers has support for openmp parallel programming
> model what is meant by that?

For Clang it means the compiler understands OpenMP pragmas and will transform
the related loops or whatever according to what the pragmas say to do.

> What are the advantages of giving compiler support for openmp instead of
> using openmp externally /standalone?

"using openmp externally" sounds like you would run a separate preprocessor
that understands the pragmas, and generates a modified source that does
whatever the pragmas say, to the extent that is possible.  Then you compile
the modified source using a compiler that doesn't necessarily understand
anything about OpenMP.

The advantage of a compiler that understands OpenMP directly is that you
save a step in your build process, and probably get better debugging info
making your program easier to debug.
--paulr