[llvm-dev] llvm (the middle-end) is getting slower, December edition

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 21 13:57:30 PST 2016

On 12/21/2016 03:36 PM, Sanjay Patel via llvm-dev wrote:
> I would have replied to this thread sooner, but I was busy adding more
> instcombines. :)
>
> The motivation for r289855 is in the commit msg (I'm out of the office
> and can't look things up conveniently). Feel free to revert that and
> the follow ups, however, if that patch caused a noticeable slowdown,
> then it suggests we have a bigger problem?...that's a simple matcher
> (no value tracking required).

I'd recommend against reverting this until we understand more about the
problem. This is not a critical compile-time regression, and we don't
yet know the cause (it might just be enabling more down-stream
transformations), or whether there have been any corresponding benefits
to code side, performance, etc. It definitely looks like a pattern that
we should catch.

  -Hal

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 12:12 PM Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com
> <mailto:chisophugis at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Davide Italiano via llvm-dev
>     <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Mikhail Zolotukhin
>

>         <mzolotukhin at apple.com <mailto:mzolotukhin at apple.com>> wrote:
>

>         > Hi Davide,
>

>         >

>         > Thanks for the analysis, it's really interesting! And I'm
>         really glad that we now put more and more attention at the
>         compile time!
>

>         >

>         > Just recently I've been looking into historical compile time
>         data as well, and have had similar conclusions. The
>         regressions you've found are probably caused by:
>

>         > 1) r289813 and r289855 - new matchers in InstCombine
>

>         > 2) r286814 and r288024 - changes in Inlining cost model
>

>         >

>         Haven't looked at 2) yet, but I can confirm for 1).
>         Sanjay/Ehsan, can
>

>         you please explain what's the motivation behind the new
>

>         transformations you introduced? I'm tempted to ask a revert,
>         but I'd
>

>         like to understand the motivations first.
>

>     Both r289813 and r289855 add a very small amount of matching (it
>     seems?) compared to the rest of the size of instcombine. How is it
>     that these checks are causing such a disproportionate slowdown
>     compared to the rest of instcombine? (by "I can confirm for 1)" I
>     assume you mean these two patches have a pretty significant impact
>     on compile time; not "0.1%" each)
>
>     -- Sean Silva
>

>         --
>

>         Davide
>

>         "There are no solved problems; there are only problems that
>         are more
>

>         or less solved" -- Henri Poincare

>         llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>

Hal Finkel