[llvm-dev] Using the LLVM demangler.

Davide Italiano via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 15 12:01:59 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Dave Bozier via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> We’re hoping to replace the demangler in some of our tools to use the LLVM
> demangler. We’d like to enhance it with missing functionality (legal names
> that it cannot demangle) and provide a set of tests that we use with the
> demangler that we currently use.
>

> The demangler that is currently in the LLVM tree appears to be a copy of the
> libc++abi implementation, and there appears to be chat about replacing it
> with the fast demangler implementation in LLDB.
>

> Could you please advise if we should put our contributing efforts into
> enhancing the fast demangler in LLDB so that it can replace the existing one
> or just work on what is already there.

I'm not sure when the new demangler will be ready, so you can either
ask David (cc:ed) about it, or for a short-term solution implement the
missing features in libcxxabi and backport to LLVM.
The work is not entirely wasted as we gain new testcases to use when
we'll switch to the new demangler. I understand backporting isn't a
lot of fun but considering the two implementations are supposed to be
in sync (and if they're not, that should be fixed), it shouldn't be a
lot of work.

--
Davide

"There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more
or less solved" -- Henri Poincare