[llvm-dev] LLD status update and performance chart

Andrew Kelley via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 13 11:07:01 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> That said, I think the current our "API" to allow users call our linker's
> main function hit the sweet spot. I know at least a few LLVM-based language
> developers who want to eliminate external dependencies and embed a linker
> to their compilers. That's a reasonable usage, and I think allowing them to
> pass a map from filename to MemoryBuffer objects makes sense, too. That
> would be done without affecting the overall linker architecture. I don't
> oppose to that idea, and if someone wrote a patch, I'm fine with that.

As an LLVM-based language developer, this is exactly what I want to do. In
short:

 * Avoid depending on an external binary
 * Avoid a fork+exec
 * Avoid unnecessary use of the filesystem

Does this feature compromise progress on the linker binary?

Would it be reasonable for this feature to exist in the next minor version
release of lld?