[llvm-dev] LLD status update and performance chart

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 13 10:56:41 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Hal Finkel via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]

Please tell me what you think about how reusable components would be like.
Which parts of the linker can be reusable components? Is that really
feasible? You are saying that the linker should be written in different way
by comparing it with an ideal linker (modular, reusable and fast! and by
the way the current LLD is much more reusable and extensible than before in
my opinion), but you can say anything if you compare with an ideal one. You
need to prove that it's doable so we should do that way instead of this. We
(or I) did a large experiment with the old LLD for years but couldn't find
a way to make it possible in a reasonable manner. I'm still trying to find
one, by distilling ELF and COFF linkers common parts, but still couldn't
make it.