[llvm-dev] LLD status update and performance chart

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 12 01:11:55 PST 2016

On 12 December 2016 at 03:04, Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> LLD is now able to link most x86-64 userland programs. The FreeBSD project
> and we are trying to make LLD the system default linker of the operating
> system, and except a few tricky programs such as the kernel or a boot
> loader, the linker works mostly fine. We are still working on implementing
> long-tail features/bugs, but I'd say that's just a matter of time. LLD
> supports x86, x86-64, x32, AArch64, AMDGPU, ARM, PPC64 and MIPS32/64,
> though completeness varies.

Thanks for the update!

>From our side, AArch64 is stable and "production ready", though not
necessarily complete. We now have a buildbot that bootstraps Clang and runs
the test-suite with LLD:

http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/clang-cmake-aarch64-lld

We'll start looking at other large and complex programs next (though Clang
is quite complex and libclang is quite large already).

ARM support is coming a long way, but we're still not able to link Clang
yet, and there are some issues on the test-suite. We'll be continuing to
make progress throughout next year and hopefully have a similar buildbot on
ARM.

Rafael,

Great news about FreeBSD! Once LLD has become their default linker in
x86_64, I'd like to start the same process on AArch64.

cheers,
--renato