[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [Release-testers] [Openmp-dev] [4.0 Release] Schedule and call for testers

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 5 16:01:11 PST 2016

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 06:58:01PM +0000, Renato Golin via cfe-dev wrote:
> On 5 December 2016 at 18:42, Dimitry Andric via Release-testers
> <release-testers at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but where is the general outline
> > for this versioning scheme documented?  And are we still going to do
> > 4.1, 4.2, etc?
>
> This is the thread:
>
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-June/101044.html
>

> > Note that this is a pretty close follow-up to the 3.9.1 release.  There
> > is a minor risk of "release burn-out" here... :)
>
> They're completely different trees, so should only be a problem if we
> haven't finished by then.
>
> 3.9.1 convergence took a lot longer than expected because of the
> number of back-ports. With interest in the point-releases growing, I
> think we should try a "half-way" schedule for the point releases, to
> make sure that doesn't happen again.

We are actually pretty close to a halfway schedule for the stable
releases right now.  3.9.0 was released Sep 2, and the 3.9.1
release was scheduled for December 5 (though it's running behind as
usual).

It just seems close together because the major release process has
a longer period of RC releases and stablilization.

-Tom