[llvm-dev] [Release-testers] [Openmp-dev] [4.0 Release] Schedule and call for testers

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 5 14:09:33 PST 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 5 December 2016 at 20:07, Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> wrote:
>> I'm worried that users will, with some reason, think that the 4.1 and
>> 5.1 releases are the same kind as 2.1 and 3.1 :-/
>
> IMO, this is too small of a worry to encumber us for the rest of our
> release days with silly zeroes.

For me, it's a big worry, and I'm positive lots of developers (and any
code trying to parse our version numbers) would be confused by
dropping it.

I don't think having a redundant zero in the middle is a big problem:
we used to make minor releases but now we don't, so it stays at zero.
(And if for some reason we'd want to do one in the future, we could.)

This is the scheme we arrived at at the end of the great version
number discussion this summer, and I don't see any reason to change it
now.

> I'd rather be redundantly explicit for the next year, than carry that
> burden for the next 5 (or more).

Sure, if we think this is terribly annoying in the future and we
decide dropping the unused "minor" part of our version number is the
best thing, we could attempt it at that point. I'm not doing anything
now that would make that harder.

Thanks,
Hans