[llvm-dev] Problem about compiling the LLVM source code on QEMU running the aarch64?

Sebastian Pop via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 2 06:19:44 PST 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On 30 November 2016 at 13:20, 李阳 <liyang.cs.cqu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The remained is to confirm whether the LLVM source code can be compiled
>> successfully on Debian on QEMU/aarch64.?
>
> Linaro compiles and tests natively on multiple Linux distros on
> AArch64 machines daily, so LLVM works fine there.
>
> We also use QEMU for AArch64 validation on a variety of tasks,
> including GCC tests, so Linux also works on AArch64 QEMU (running on
> X86_64).
>
> Now, how to make QEMU boot an AArch64 Linux is up to the QEMU mailing list. :)

My colleague Brian Rzycki wrote a detailed note about how to run
ubuntu on qemu/aarch64:
http://rzycki.blogspot.com/2014/08/using-qemu-to-run-ubuntu-arm-64-bit.html
We used qemu to compile and test "natively" back in the days when time
on AArch64 machines was expensive.

Sebastian