[llvm-dev] [RFC] Interprocedural MIR-level outlining pass

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 31 17:36:52 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Daniel Berlin" <dberlin at dberlin.org>

I don't think that anyone wants to do anything unnecessary, or re-invent any wheels. I'm just trying to understand what you're saying.

Regarding you example above, I certainly see how you might do this simply by defining an equivalence class over all "external" inputs. I don't think this is sufficient, however, for what is needed here. The problem is that we need to recognize maximal structurally-similar subgraphs, and I don't see how what you're proposing does that (even if you have some scheme where you don't hash every part of each instruction). Maybe if you had some stream-based similarity-preserving hash function, but that's another matter.

Let's say we have this:

q = a + b
r = c + d
s = q + r
t = q - r

and later we have:

u = e + f
v = g - h
w = u + v
x = u - v

Now, what I want to recognize is that the latter two instructions in each group are structurally similar. Even if I define an equivalence class over external inputs, in this case, E = { a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h}, then I have:

q = E + E
r = E + E
s = q + r
t = q - r

and:

u = E + E
v = E - E
w = u + v
x = u - v

but then r and v are still different, so how to we find that {s, t} can be abstracted into a function, because we've found the isomorphism { s -> w, t -> x }, and then thus reuse that function to evaluate {w, x}?

Thanks again,
Hal

--

Hal Finkel