[llvm-dev] Retrieving the original C/C++ variable name for an LLVM value - disabling opt pass indvars

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 31 15:52:51 PDT 2016

Hi Alex,

Alex Susu via llvm-dev wrote:
 > Hello.
 > Could you please tell me if disabling the indvars pass is a good idea
 > (when still considering running -O3, including loop vectorization). So
 > far I didn't get any errors in the entire LLVM flow, but I'd like to get
 > a second opinion.

You need to benchmark your application before deciding if disabling
indvars is a good idea or not, but I can tell you this: variable names
preservation at the IR level is usually a _bad_ reason to disable
*any* pass. :)

Why do you care about preserving variable names in the generated IR?
Can you get the information you want some other way (like DWARF
debug info)?

-- Sanjoy