[llvm-dev] Canonicalize induction variables

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 31 07:10:17 PDT 2016

Hi again,

I looked into the code of IndVarSimplify but found no code that
changes the start value of the induction variable. It only modifies
the exit test.

However, the file's comment gives an example:

//   1. The exit condition for the loop is canonicalized to compare the
//      induction value against the exit value.  This turns loops like:
//        'for (i = 7; i*i < 1000; ++i)' into 'for (i = 0; i != 25; ++i)'

I ran the example and it turns the loop into
for (i = 7; i != 32; ++i)

The part that makes induction variables start at zero may have been removed.

Michael