[llvm-dev] Questions on LLVM vectorization diagnostics

Saito, Hideki via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 30 14:55:25 PDT 2016

Renato and Michael, thanks for your replies.

Renato > Outer loop vectorisation is not an easy task, so feel free
Renato > to share your ideas early and often, as that would probably mean a lot
Renato > less work for you guys, too.

Will definitely do.

Renato >But analysis passes shouldn't be touching code in the first place. Of course, creating
Renato >additional dead code is not strictly changing code, but this could be cause for code
Renato >bloat, leaks, or making it worse for other analysis. My personal view is that this is a bad move.

Michael >However, creating unreachable blocks sound a bit hacky - it looks like we’re just going to use IR
Michael >as some shadow data-structure.

Also got another person via private e-mail saying Analysis pass creating Instruction/BasicBlock "is generally
frowned upon".

I think this is showing enough people disliking the idea of an Analysis pass creating Instruction/BasicBlock and
use that to pass (as part of) Analysis info to the Transformation pass. That was our original assumption, and
it's good to know that our assumption has support (don't know how wide, but at least a good start).
Now, the next question is "how else to make something similar to happen".

Renato > We have discussed the split of analysis vs transformation with Polly years ago, and it was considered
Renato > "a good idea".

Same thinking here.

Renato > But that relied exclusively on metadata.
	Snip snip snip
Renato > Given that scenario of split responsibility, I'm curious as to your opinion on the matter of carrying (and
Renato > sharing) metadata between different vectorisation analysis passes and different transformation types.

Michael > why not to use a shadow data-structure :-) ? ScalarEvolution might be an example of how this can be
Michael > done - it creates a map from IR instructions to SCEV-objects.

Our thinking is that what we'd like to communicate between VecAnalysis and VecTransform
is not simple enough to represent well in metadata form, in a long run. As such, we are currently
going after creating an internal data structure (which eventually will become data structure of
VectAnalysis, to be referenced from VecTransform through member functions). As I wrote before,
since we have a need to represent a new control flow (within Analysis), this internal data structure we
are introducing is an abstraction of Basic Block, and soon-to-come NFC patch essentially stops there.
Next step is to add a new control flow for new optimization/functionality (that's useful enough in
LoopVectorize.cpp). At that moment, we inevitably have to represent newly generated "instructions"
in an abstracted way and the abstracted Basic Blocks start to diverge from underlying real Basic Blocks.
One might call this "a shadow data-structure". Once RFC and the patches comes out, I hope enough of
you will like the approach we are taking. We'll find out at that time.

I think enough is said before real RFC and NFC patch. Let me get back to RFC/patch so that you'll
see them sooner than later. In the meantime, I'll be glad if more people express their likes/dislikes
on our general approach.

Thanks,
Hideki