[llvm-dev] invariant.load metadata semantics

Geoff Berry via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 30 12:48:05 PDT 2016

I believe the following is a reasonable attempt at boiling down this
discussion.  It does allow stores of the same value.  It avoids the dead
invariant.load issue Sanjoy brought up.  It does not allow final stores
of a different value, the issue Hal most recently brought up in this thread:

     If a load instruction tagged with the ``!invariant.load`` metadata
is executed, the optimizer may assume the memory location referenced by
the load contains the same value at all points in the program where the
memory location is known to be dereferenceable.

Thoughts?

--
Geoff Berry
Employee of Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc.